- Director’s Blog
- Advisory Council
- About Us
- CCG Home
- Shoot for the Skies PSA Video Contest October 24, 2014Illinois Partners for Clean Air has launched the Shoot for the Skies PSA Video Contest for Chicago area high school students in the Illinois counties of Cook, DuPage, Grundy, Kane, Kendall, Lake, McHenry and Will. Students currently enrolled in grades 9-12 (public, private or home school) are invited to write, direct and produce […]laura.oakleaf
- Homewood Pharmaceutical Collection Event – October 11th October 6, 2014Join Cook County Department of Environmental Control at Homewood’s weekend farmer’s market on October 11th from 8 am to 1 pm, rain or shine, at the Homewood Village Hall parking lot at 2020 Chestnut Road. Cook County will be collecting unused pharmaceuticals and over-the-counter medications as well as inhalers and mercury thermometers. Note that DEA […]Christopher Lipman
- Hanover Park Recycling and Pharmaceutical Collection Event – September 27th September 2, 2014Join Cook County Department of Environmental Control at Hanover Park’s Annual Recycling Event on September 27th from 9 am to 1 pm, rain or shine, at the Hanover Park Metra Station, 1975 W. Lake St.. Cook County will be collecting unused pharmaceuticals and over-the-counter medications as well as inhalers and mercury thermometers. Hanover Park will […]Christopher Lipman
- President Preckwinkle’s Green Initiatives Moving Forward August 21, 2014Cook County is moving aggressively to advance President Toni Preckwinkle’s sustainability agenda through new and existing programs that reduce waste, decrease the County’s environmental footprint and make the County’s use of energy and water more efficient. Preckwinkle’s Sustainability Advisory Council recently accepted a report summarizing progress made durlaura.oakleaf
- Energy Efficiency Funding and Technical Assistance Available for Public Buildings August 5, 2014Funding and technical assistance are available through Cook County’s partnership with The Metropolitan Mayors Caucus Public Sector Energy Efficiency Program to help public agencies implement energy efficiency projects. Funded through the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO), this program is available to all public agencies, includilaura.oakleaf
- Solar at Home? July 28, 2014 laura.oakleaf
- Energy Benchmarking Ordinance Approved at Cook County Board Meeting July 24, 2014The Cook County Board of Commissioners approved a Building Energy Benchmarking Ordinance that will continue the County’s advancement of its Green initiatives. “I believe that Cook County should be a world-class model of sustainability,” stated President Preckwinkle. “The passage and implementation of this ordinance is a major step towards realizing our goal.laura.oakleaf
- Cook County Receives U.S. EPA Brownfields Grant May 29, 2014The Cook County Department of Environmental Control has received a 2014 US Environmental Protection Agency Brownfields Assessment Grant. Cook County, along with seven municipal partners (Bellwood, Forest Park, Franklin Park, Melrose Park, Maywood, Northlake, and Schiller Park) received $600,000 (the maximum award allowed) to assist in the environmental assChristopher Lipman
- 2014 Earth Day Celebration at Deer Grove Forest Preserve in Palatine April 22, 2014Join us Saturday, April 26th from 9:30 to 2:30 for a day of ecological restoration, educational tours, guest speakers, demonstrations, activites, and special guest speaker Deborah Stone, Cook County’s Chief Sustainability Officer. Bring the whole Family! Free lunch at noon for all participants. We are working to bring healthy nature back to the Deer Grove FChristopher Lipman
- Cook County Air Pollution Monitoring – Particulate Matter April 17, 2014Cook County tracks and measures several air pollutants through an air monitoring network situated throughout the County. Particulate Matter (PM) is a pollutant consisting of microscopic particles that can enter the body if inhaled. These fine particles also contribute to haze in many parts of the United States, often in urban areas such as […]Christopher Lipman
- Shoot for the Skies PSA Video Contest October 24, 2014
A Message from the President
I believe that Cook County should be a world-class model of sustainability. We are working not only to boost sustainability practices throughout County government, but also to join forces with local governments, nonprofits and business, to accomplish more than we could separately in making each of Cook County’s communities sustainable. To further this work, I appointed Deborah Stone as the County’s first Chief Sustainability Officer, and as Director of the Department of Environmental Control. I also recognize that Cook County needs to share ideas and collaborate with a diverse group of community leaders and sustainability experts. In March 2012, I appointed the Cook County Sustainability Advisory Council to help lift our vision higher and give us access to best practices. You can meet the Council members and read more about their mission in the “Advisory Council” section of this website. Toni Preckwinkle,Cook County Board President
What is Sustainability?
" Ensuring that there is enough for today without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs."Deborah StoneChief Sustainability Officer, Cook County Government
Contact UsCook County Chief Sustainability Officer
69 W Washington
Chicago, IL 60602
Scan the QR Code with your smartphone for a map and directions.
Click here to reserve discounted parking from Spothero.com, a winner of the "Apps for Metro Chicago" Open Data application contest.